Though Spring is approaching, there is still plenty of snow and ice on the ground. And as the weather begins to warm-up, this snow and ice will melt to water creating puddles on sidewalks, roadways, parking lots and other publically traveled areas. This can be the recipe for a bad slip-and-fall accident.
You may be surprised to know that the occurrence of slip-and-fall accidents is more common than you think. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, slip-and-falls cause over 2.5 million injuries each year across the nation, over 21,000 of which lead to death.
The most common injuries sustained in slip-and-fall accidents are bone fractures—particularly in the elderly—brain/head injuries and severe lacerations and/or bruising.
While the easiest and most obvious way to avoid a slip-and-fall is to be cautious and aware of your surroundings at all times, here are some additional tips for preventing a slip-and-fall accident this season.
- Check your local weather forecast before leaving the house so you can be prepared for inclement weather conditions.
- Always wear appropriate footwear for the weather, such as boots in snow, ice and wet conditions. Make sure your boots have adequate traction and protect your feet from the elements.
- Instead of keeping your hands warm by putting them in your jacket or pants pockets, wear a pair of gloves. Keeping your hands free will allow you to use them to break your fall if you accidentally slip, which can greatly minimize or even prevent injury.
- Be on the look-out for black ice and melted ice puddles, particularly on sidewalks and in parking lots or parking garages. The majority of all slip-and-falls occur in these places.
- Try to minimize or completely avoid unnecessary distractions, such as using your cell phone or reading, while walking on icy or wet surfaces.
Practicing these simple tips, you can avoid becoming a statistic and injuring yourself by preventing a slip-and-fall.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip-and-fall, or any sort of accident, you should consult a knowledgeable personal injury attorney right away. The personal injury attorneys at the Law Office of Jeremy Rosenthal have represented numerous clients who have been injured by slip-and-falls and we will fight to get you compensation for your injuries.
Call us today for a free consultation at (303) 825 – 2223, or visit us online. You have nothing to lose with a free consult!