The human brain is extraordinarily complex. It’s also one of the most delicate parts of the body. When the brain suffers an injury from physical trauma, oxygen deprivation, or toxic exposure, the results are nearly impossible to predict. Two people who experience similar brain injuries will likely display vastly different outcomes, and brain injuries are some of the most likely injuries to cause permanent complications.
When a brain injury occurs due to negligence, the victim may be unable to pursue legal action on their own accord due to incapacitation. Whether you or someone you love has suffered a brain injury due to the negligent actions of another party, it is essential to work with an experienced Aurora brain injury attorney. Our firm can build a personal injury claim against the party responsible.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
Brain injuries are incredibly damaging, typically leading to substantial medical expenses, both immediate and future. The medical effects of a brain injury alone are enough reason to hire the most experienced Aurora brain injury lawyer you can find, but these injuries often accompany other damages. For example, when a brain injury results from a car accident, the victim may have also suffered property damage and other physical injuries. If a brain injury resulted from violence, the party responsible will face criminal prosecution from the state as well as civil action from the victim and their family.
Your Aurora brain injury attorney can help you approach your brain injury lawsuit with greater confidence. You can place your legal matter in capable hands to focus on your recovery. At the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal, our team understands how devastating a brain injury can be for both the victim and their loved ones and will do everything we can to maximize your recovery. We have a solid record of successful personal injury claims in Aurora and surrounding areas, and our team has extensive experience with difficult cases like brain injury claims. We will get to know you and your situation so we can provide comprehensive, individualized legal counsel throughout your proceedings.
Types of Brain Injuries and Potential Effects
Many types of brain injuries can result from negligence or intentional torts:
- A brain injury resulting from interpersonal violence is an intentional tort, and the party responsible is liable for the victim’s civil damages and criminal prosecution from the state.
- Brain injuries can result from toxic exposure. If a party allowed a toxic substance to harm others in a way that should have been foreseen and prevented, that party is liable for any resulting brain injuries.
- Traumatic brain injuries include blunt force trauma to the head. A traumatic brain injury can happen due to a sports accident, motor vehicle crash, slip and fall injury, impact from a falling object, or a workplace accident.
No matter how a brain injury occurs, if another party is responsible due to negligence, it is vital for the victim and their loved ones to know their legal options. Some mild brain injuries like concussions may cause unpredictable long-term effects despite seeming mild at first. Other brain injuries cause more extensive damage that may not be immediately possible to measure. An experienced Aurora brain injury attorney is an invaluable asset to any family who has experienced a brain injury and may not know their best options for legal recourse.
Potential Damages in a Brain Injury Claim
Brain injuries often involve many different types of damages. For example, if a brain injury resulted from a car accident, the victim likely has experienced property losses and lost income from time missed from work. If a brain injury happened at work, the workers’ compensation benefits may not fully cover the victim’s losses or address a serious workplace negligence issue. An Aurora brain injury lawyer can help a victim and their family determine fault for their damages, which may include:
- Medical expenses, both immediate and future. Colorado state law allows a personal injury plaintiff to claim compensation for any losses related to medical treatment. The plaintiff and their Aurora brain injury attorney will need to prove the full scope of the victim’s injury and their attending physician’s prognosis. Many brain injuries have unpredictable long-term effects, so the medical expense recovery in a brain injury case is likely substantial.
- Property damages, which may include vehicle repair costs and other property-related losses caused by the defendant.
- Pain and suffering. Colorado allows personal injury plaintiffs to recover compensation for physical pain from traumatic injuries, mental distress, loss of enjoyment of life, and psychological suffering caused by negligence. Brain injuries can be life-altering and leave a victim unable to work or live independently.
- Lost income. A brain injury may force the victim to remain home from work for weeks or even months while they recover. In some cases, a brain injury may be so damaging that the victim is unable to work at all in the future. An experienced Aurora brain injury lawyer will help a client recover lost future earning potential if necessary.
- Punitive damages. While a plaintiff cannot outright claim punitive damages in a Colorado personal injury claim, a judge may award them if a defendant’s behavior was intentional, grossly negligent, or criminal. The amount the plaintiff receives in punitive or exemplary damages cannot exceed the total of their claimed compensatory damages under Colorado state law.
It is not uncommon for a family’s whole world to change after a loved one has suffered a brain injury. If you are having trouble calculating all of your losses following a brain injury or are unsure whether another party is responsible for your damages, call our firm. It’s essential to work with an Aurora brain injury attorney as soon as possible to better understand your options. Personal injury plaintiffs have two years to file their claims in Colorado, and this timeframe begins on the date an injury occurred. While this may sound like a long time, brain injuries are complex matters that may require weeks or months of evaluation before all the effects are fully understood.
The sooner you connect with an experienced Aurora brain injury attorney, the greater your chances are of securing compensation for your losses. If you are ready to discuss a potential brain injury claim with a compassionate and experienced Aurora brain injury lawyer, contact the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal and schedule a consultation today.