Car accidents are a daily occurrence across Denver. These accidents happen for many different reasons and can have a wide range of resulting outcomes, from minor cosmetic damage to death. If the damage is minimal, these losses can easily be handled between the parties involved. However, more serious accidents cause greater damage and result in protracted legal proceedings. If you were recently involved in a car accident, you may be wondering how much your settlement could be worth.
After a car accident, there are two typical routes for recovery. One option is to file an auto insurance claim against the driver who was found to be at fault. Colorado law states that every driver must carry auto insurance that meets or surpasses the state’s minimum coverage requirements. A second option is to file a personal injury claim. If the at-fault driver does not have insurance, or their insurance does not meet the financial requirements of your losses, you may need to file a civil action against them to recover the remaining losses.
Since every car accident is unique, settlement amounts will vary. If you have suffered loss, either physical or financial, due to the negligence of another driver, it is important that you know how to hold them accountable for their actions and claim financial damages.
How Do Car Accidents Occur?
When car accidents occur because of another driver’s actions, the crash can quickly escalate into a very serious and complex legal matter. There are many potential causes for a car accident in Denver, but those that can result in civil claims include:
- Moving Violations: Failing to follow the rules of the road can increase the likelihood of an accident because other drivers on the road cannot anticipate the movements that are likely to be made. This includes running red lights, making illegal turns, driving on road shoulders, making improper lane changes, and other reckless driving.
- Distracted Driving: When drivers fail to pay attention to their surroundings, they are likely to miss changes and situations that they should be reacting to. This puts themselves and other drivers at severe risk, as even seconds of inattention can cause a devastating accident.
- Speeding: Speed limits exist for many reasons, particularly to avoid accidents. If a person is speeding, they reduce the time and space they need to slow down or stop to avoid a collision.
- Intoxicated Driving: It is dangerous and illegal for a driver in Denver to operate a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If an intoxicated driver causes an accident, they will face criminal prosecution as well as civil damages for any loss caused by the accident.
If you believe the other driver is responsible for your car accident, your first step should be to speak with a Denver car accident attorney as quickly as possible. They have years of experience and can advise you on your best options for recovering the most compensation for your losses.
What Damages Can I Recover After a Car Accident in Denver?
The personal injury laws in Colorado state that the driver responsible for the accident is liable for all the resulting damages. The victims of the accident have the right to hold the defendant accountable for any damages that were caused, as well as for their pain and suffering. As laid out by state law, pain and suffering compensation can reach $613,760. However, this amount can be increased to $1,227,530 if there is clear and convincing evidence to justify the increase. The amount that you receive will be entirely dependent on the severity of the damages collected. The economic damages that can be claimed include:
- Property Damage: After an accident, vehicles will need to be repaired or replaced. Other property that is damaged or destroyed because of the accident can also be repaired or replaced.
- Medical Expenses: This includes acute injuries sustained from the accident as well as any long-term treatment that will be required due to these injuries.
- Lost Income: Recovering from your injuries may keep you from work, either short-term or indefinitely. These lost wages can be recovered.
FAQs About Average Car Accident Settlement in Denver, Colorado
What Should I Do Following a Car Accident in Denver?
First, identify if anyone is injured from the accident and provide immediate aid if they are. Contact 911 to report the accident and request medical assistance. If possible, remove the vehicles from oncoming traffic and collect information from others involved in the accident and any witnesses. After the accident, do not speak to anyone except your insurance company and/or your lawyer.
What Is the Typical Value of Car Accident Settlements?
The total damages from a car accident can include lost wages, out-of-pocket expenses, medical bills, physical impairment, and pain and suffering. When a case is properly handled, accidents that result in serious injury are typically worth more than just economic damages. This is one reason retaining an experienced attorney is vital to maximizing your recovery.
Do I Need an Attorney to Recover Damages for a Car Accident?
Legally, you are not required to have an attorney present for your case to recover damages following a car accident. However, just because it is not legally required does not mean it will not benefit you to retain an attorney. According to the Insurance Research Council, the average settlement for an accident victim was 40 percent higher when a lawyer negotiated the settlements instead of the victims themselves.
How Long Will I Have to Wait Until My Case Is Resolved?
The time it will take to fully resolve your case depends on the exact circumstances. If the at-fault party is obvious, and they accept responsibility, your claim is more likely to be resolved quickly. However, if the liability is disputed or not immediately apparent, the legal proceedings may take several months to complete.
Recovering From a Car Accident in Denver, CO
Car accidents can be traumatic and damaging. Fighting to get just compensation for your injuries and property damage can feel overwhelming when you are simply trying to recover. The Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal has the experience and knowledge needed to navigate your car accident claim, allowing you to focus on your recovery. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.