The area of Brighton is home to many pedestrians who use the sidewalks and crosswalks to get around. Unfortunately, there have been many reports of pedestrian accidents in Brighton. These are incredibly disheartening, as pedestrians are some of the most vulnerable people on our roads. Everyone deserves to walk freely with the peace of mind that they will get to their destination safely. However, if a car has hit you while walking, it is important to know that you have legal rights that can be advanced with the help of a Brighton pedestrian accident lawyer.
At the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal, our personal injury lawyers have represented many individuals who have been seriously injured while walking in Brighton. We understand how devastating these types of accidents can be, both to one’s physical well-being and mental state. We also know that the legal aftermath of an accident can be very overwhelming. We are here to help you get the maximum compensation possible for your injuries so that you can focus on your recovery.
Common Reasons Why Pedestrian Accidents Happen in Brighton
There are many chains of events for why pedestrian accidents as the result of a car crash happen in Brighton. However, some seem to occur more frequently than others. These include:
- Distracted driving. With the advent of smartphones, there has been an increase in the number of distracted drivers on the road. Distracted driving is engaging in any unorthodox behavior while operating a vehicle that takes a driver’s attention away from the task of driving. Examples include chatting on the phone, texting, eating, drinking, and more. Distracted driving is hazardous as it increases the likelihood of an accident happening.
- Speeding. Many drivers in Brighton exceed the posted speed limit, putting pedestrians at risk. When someone speeds, they are less likely to see a pedestrian in time to stop. They are also more likely to lose control of their vehicle if they need to brake suddenly.
- Driving under the influence. Driving with drugs or alcohol in your system is against the law for a reason. Drugs and alcohol deeply impair the ability to operate a vehicle safely. This increases the likelihood of an accident happening.
- Failing to yield. Many drivers in Brighton fail to yield to pedestrians, especially at crosswalks. This puts pedestrians at risk of being hit by a car.
These are some common reasons why pedestrian accidents happen in Brighton. It is important to speak with a pedestrian accident lawyer to discuss your legal options.
What to Do If You Have Been Involved in a Pedestrian Accident in Brighton
There are some important steps to take if you are in a pedestrian accident. These include:
- Seek medical attention. If you have been hit by a car, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if you are under the initial impression that your injuries are minor, it is still important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, such as concussions, may not be immediately apparent.
- Gather evidence. If you are able, take pictures of the accident scene and gather any eyewitness information. This will be helpful if you decide to file a personal injury claim.
- Speak with a pedestrian accident lawyer. After you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, speak with a lawyer. They will be able to review your case and advise you of your legal options. They can also help you to get the maximum compensation possible for your injuries.
What Injuries Are Common in Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian accidents have the power to result in a wide range of injuries. Some of the most common include:
- Head injuries. Head injuries, such as concussions and brain injuries, can be extremely serious to pedestrian accident victims. These can result in long-term cognitive impairment and even death.
- Neck injuries. Neck injuries, such as whiplash, are also common in pedestrian accidents. Whiplash is when the head is suddenly and unnaturally jerked forward and back. This can damage the ligaments and muscles in the neck, resulting in pain and stiffness.
- Back injuries. Back injuries, such as herniated discs, are also common in pedestrian accidents. These injuries can be extremely painful and may require surgery to correct.
- Broken bones. Broken bones are also common in pedestrian accidents. Pedestrians are particularly susceptible to breaking their legs, arms, and ribs when hit by a car.
- Emotional damages. In addition to physical injuries, pedestrian accident victims often suffer from emotional issues, such as anxiety and depression. These can be equally as debilitating as physical injuries and may require treatment from a mental health professional.
How Much Compensation Am I Entitled To?
The total package of compensation you are entitled to will depend on the severity of your injuries and the circumstances of your accident. You may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical expenses. This includes both current and future medical expenses, such as hospitalization, surgery, and rehabilitation.
- Lost wages. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you may seek to claim the wages lost due to your injuries. This includes both current and future lost wages.
- Pain and suffering. You may also be entitled to compensation for the physical and emotional pain and suffering you are experiencing and suffering from due to your accident.
- Wrongful death. If a pedestrian is killed in an accident, their family may be entitled to compensation for their death. This includes funds that would go towards funeral and burial expenses, as well as compensating for the loss of love and companionship.
Is It Required to Have a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer?
No, you are not required to have a pedestrian accident lawyer. However, hiring a lawyer can be extremely beneficial. A lawyer will be able to:
- Review your case. From initial investigation through trial, a lawyer will be with you every step of the way. They will deeply investigate the accident to identify all liable parties and gather evidence to support your claim.
- Handle negotiations. Once all the evidence has been gathered, your lawyer will open negotiations with the insurance company. They will seek to acquire the maximum level of compensation possible for your injuries.
- Take your case to trial. If the insurance company is unwilling to offer a fair settlement, your case will go to trial. A Brighton personal injury attorney will position your case in the strongest light possible and fight for a verdict in your favor that also yields the maximum compensation possible.
- Provide emotional support. Dealing with the aftermath of a pedestrian accident can be extremely stressful. While a lawyer is not a qualified therapist, they will advance your case with deep care and take many responsibilities off your plate so that you can focus on your recovery.
Q: What is the most common cause of Brighton personal injury to pedestrians?
A: The most common cause of injury to pedestrians is being hit by a car. This can happen when a driver is negligent, such as by texting while driving or running a red light when a pedestrian is in the crosswalk. This results in very serious injuries, such as broken bones and traumatic brain injuries.
Q: As a pedestrian, what duty is placed upon me to avoid auto accidents?
A: As a pedestrian, you have the right of way in a crosswalk. However, you also must exercise caution and not place yourself in danger. For example, if you walk at night without a reflector, you may be partially liable for an accident if you are hit by a car. This is because the driver would not have been able to see you and would have had a better opportunity to avoid the accident if you were more visible.
Q: What if one of my family members or I am injured or killed by an uninsured/underinsured motorist while we were pedestrians?
A: If you or a family member is injured or killed by an uninsured/underinsured motorist while you were pedestrians, you may still be able to recover compensation through your own auto insurance policy. Contact your insurance provider, notify them of the accident, and find out what coverage is available to you. Your pedestrian injury lawyer can help you with communications with the insurance company to ensure your rights are fully protected.
Q: What damages are recoverable in pedestrian accident cases?
A: The type and number of damages that are recoverable in pedestrian accident cases will vary depending on the facts of each case. Generally, damages that may be recovered include medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and emotional distress. If a pedestrian is killed in an accident, the family members may also be able to recover compensation via a wrongful death lawsuit.
Contact The Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal Today
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact the personal injury attorneys of the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal today. We are experts in the Brighton area and know how to advance your case to ensure that you recover the maximum amount of compensation possible. Contact us today to take your first step toward justice.