Damages: What Compensation You Can Obtain After A Car Accident

Posted by Jeremy Rosenthal | Jan 07, 2016 | 0 Comments


If you have been injured in a car accident caused by someone else, you are generally entitled to monetary compensation for your damages. Though every personal injury case is different, there are many different types of damages that you could potentially receive.

Compensation to Cover The Cost of Your Medical Bills

If your injuries require hospitalization or specific medical treatment such as physical therapy or rehabilitation, you can recover the costs of these treatments from the insurance company of the driver that caused your accident.

However, once you and your personal injury attorney negotiate a settlement with the insurance company or a verdict is reached in your lawsuit, this monetary amount is final. This means that if you find out at a later date that you need additional medical treatment, you cannot obtain more money from the other driver or their insurance company. This is why it is critical to work closely with your personal injury attorney as well as your doctor(s) to determine any andall types of medical treatment that you need to fully recover both now and in the future.

Compensation For Your Pain and Suffering

Compensation for your pain and suffering is meant to cover the emotional toll to your health and wellbeing directly caused by the accident. Unfortunately, these types of damages may not be available to you, and it will depend on the unique circumstances of your case. However, damages for pain and suffering are usually a great portion of the  compensation an injured driver obtains following their accident.

It is important to note that some car insurance policies contain explicit provisions that waive monetary damages for pain and suffering, unless the injuries are extraordinarily severe. Typically, auto insurance policies that boast of low monthly premiums contain waivers for pain and suffering damages. You should review your car insurance policy carefully to determine whether you have unknowingly agreed to waive compensation for pain and suffering.

Compensation For Punitive Damages Against The Other Driver

In rare instances a judge or jury may award you compensation for punitive damages because the other driver was driving so recklessly. Unlike compensation for your medical bills and pain and suffering, punitive damages are intended to punish the other driver for their extremely negligent behavior or conduct. Often, these damages are awarded in instances where the other driver was intoxicated or under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, or following an assault. A qualified personal injury attorney like those at the Law Office of Jeremy Rosenthal will know whether to pursue punitive damages in your case..

You should always hire a personal injury attorney to handle your car accident case, particularly when you have been injured. Your attorney can help maximize the amount of compensation you recover and better defend you if you are responsible for the accident.  The attorneys at the Law Office of Jeremy Rosenthal have decades of experience representing clients in car accident cases. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, call the Law Office of Jeremy Rosenthal today for a free consultation at (303) 825-2223.

About the Author

Jeremy Rosenthal

Attorney Jeremy Rosenthal is dedicated to helping his clients seek just compensation for their injuries regardless of the lengths he has to go to or the distances he may have to travel in order to get it.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Serving Clients In:

Law Firm Of Jeremy Rosenthal provides professional legal services to clients throughout the Denver Metro Area, Boulder County and throughout Colorado, including the cities of Denver, Lakewood, Englewood, Aurora, Wheat Ridge, Arvada, Westminster, Thornton, Northglenn.