Neck and shoulder injuries are among some of the most common and most serious types of injuries a person may suffer. A person that suffers injuries to their neck and shoulder may suffer long term negative effects to their health. At times, serious neck injuries can run the risk of a person dealing with chronic pain or even paralysis.
Common Types of Injuries to Neck and Shoulder
Some common types of injuries to the neck or shoulder can include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is a type of neck injury that involves strain placed on a person's neck when their head suddenly moves back and forward. While it can typically be treated by a single doctor's visit, it is important to remember that more severe cases can lead to chronic pain and may need greater medical attention.
- Broken Shoulder: When a person experiences a strong impact to their shoulder, it can break the actual shoulder bone. Impacts that harm the shoulder can also potentially damage a person's collarbone as well. This can take a long time to recover from and may require medical attention.
- Dislocated Shoulder: A dislocated shoulder is a serious, and oftentimes painful, injury that a person can suffer to their shoulder. While it does not typically require surgery, quick medical attention is often necessary, and it may carry a lengthy recovery time.
- Spine Injuries: Any injury to the neck can potentially endanger the spine. The spine is a sensitive area and is important to the functioning of a person's nerves. If a person sustains damage to their spine, it can affect nearly every other aspect of their body.
Common Types of Accidents That Can Lead to Neck and Shoulder Injuries
Neck and shoulder injuries can be common in nearly any type of accident. Some particularly common accidents that can cause a person to suffer injuries to their neck or shoulder can include:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Car accidents, bicycle accidents, truck accidents, and other similar types of accidents are an incredibly common source of any type of injury, and neck and shoulder injuries are not excluded from this. These incidents can range from mild to severe depending on the situation. A person thrown from the car has a high likelihood of suffering an injury to their shoulder. An individual involved in any kind of car accident is also very likely to suffer whiplash.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Slip and fall accidents are often underestimated in how severe the impact can be to a person. If a person lands on their shoulder, the impact of the ground upon their bones can cause a fracture. If a person lands on uneven ground, sometimes they may hurt their neck as well.
Neck and shoulder injuries can lead to medical complications that may have lasting health effects, depending on their severity. If you or a loved one has suffered a neck or shoulder injury, contact the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal today.