Denver Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney
One of the most serious ways a person can be injured is through suffering an injury to their head or brain. These injuries can drastically endanger a person’s life, and may sometimes even be fatal. Many times these types of injuries require immediate hospitalization or attention, and the long-term effects can affect a person their entire life.
Common Types of Injuries to the Head and Brain
Some common types of injuries a person may suffer to their head or brain can include:
- Concussions: Concussions are most commonly thought to be accrued on a sports field, however, the truth is, they can occur in nearly any situation if a person hits his or her head hard enough. A concussion is an impact-based injury to the head, and sometimes involves loss of consciousness. Concussions can be mild to severe, a severe concussion will require a doctor’s immediate care and attention. Some untreated concussions and some severe concussions can lead to health complications later in a person’s life.
- Skull Fracture: A skull fracture can be an incredibly serious situation. Even if no deep physical or neurological damage occurs, a skull fracture indicates that a person has suffered a serious impact to their head. These injuries often require immediate emergency medical attention, lest a person suffer more serious effects. Sometimes skull fractures can cause long-term neurological deficits even after they have recovered.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: A traumatic brain injury is one that results in damage to the brain from an external source. Traumatic brain injuries are sometimes referred to as intracranial injuries, and are incredibly harmful. These injuries can carry long-term effects that lead to permanent disability and even death. Some of these injuries, if not treated immediately, can lead to a secondary injury due to pressure within the skull.
Common Types of Accidents that can Lead to Head and Brain Injuries
Many different types of accidents can lead to a person suffering a head or brain injury. Some common examples of these include:
- Vehicle Accidents: One of the most common causes of any injury is a vehicle accident. A person involved in a vehicle accident can sustain an injury to their head. This can be especially common in vehicle-pedestrian accidents.
- Slip-And-Fall Incidents: When a person falls in a slip and fall incident, they are very likely to end up with their head hitting the ground. Most falls will occur on a slippery, hard surface, and the impact of a person’s head on these surfaces can be catastrophic.
- Sports Injuries: When a person participates in sports, they may be in danger of suffering a head injury. High contact sports like hockey or football can often expose someone to risk of injury.
When a person suffers a head injury, the long-term effects can be drastic. Many head injuries require immediate and serious medical attention, which can lead to higher medical bills. If you or someone you love has suffered a head or brain injury, contact the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal today.