Denver Back Injury Lawyer
A back injury can be the source of a significant amount of health issues for an individual. When a person injures their back, they may suffer long term detrimental health effects in addition to the damage to their back, and potentially their spine. These long term effects can range from chronic pain to loss of function, depending on how severe the initial injury was.
Common Types of Back Injuries
Back injuries can come in many forms. Some common types of injuries to a person’s back can include:
- Herniated Disks: A herniated disk can also be called a bulging disk, compressed disk, or slipped disk. These injuries primarily pertain to a person’s spine. Between a person’s vertebrae are soft disks to cushion the vertebrae and keep them in place. Damage to these disks can cause a person distress and pain. Sometimes treatment of these requires surgery.
- Strains/Sprain: When a person overexerts their back, they are likely to injure it. Many people consider this “throwing out” their back. These types of injuries range from mild to severe, with severe issues requiring much more lengthy and more intensive forms of treatment.
- Fractured Vertebrae: A person’s spine is made up of several bones known as vertebrae. These bones protect the nerves within the spine and support a person’s back. This can be incredibly harmful to a person’s spine, and may have a number of negative effects that persist into their long term health.
Common Causes of Back Injuries
Injuries to a person’s back can stem from a number of sources. Some common sources of back injury can include:
- Vehicle Accidents: A person may suffer any number of injuries in a vehicle accident. A person can be injured from the impact of a collision and may have particularly severe back injuries if they are thrown from the car.
- Workplace Accidents: For jobs that may require a person to lift heavy objects or jobs that have no physical requirements, a person’s back can be injured if they exert themselves too heavily. This can lead to herniated disks or throwing out their back.
- Sports Injuries: When a person participates in a sporting event, there is a danger of them injuring themselves. Back injuries are particularly common in full contact sports, however, sometimes they can occur in other types of sports if an athlete is exposed to an unsafe situation.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Many people underestimate how much harm can be done to a person in a slip and fall incident. An injury to the back can occur if a person falls and lands on their back. The impact of a hard surface may even cause a fracture.
Injuries to a person’s back can mean lengthy recovery times and possibly even surgery. In worst case scenarios, a person may lose mobility or strength in portions of their body. If you or a loved one has suffered a back injury, contact the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal today.