In Colorado, a bicycle is technically considered a vehicle. Accordingly, when riding your bike on the streets and highways, you must follow Colorado's vehicular traffic laws and abide by all biking requirements. However, for car drivers, bikes and bikers can be difficult to identify, especially at night. Motorists need to be cautious and on the lookout for cyclists sharing the road.
All bicyclists should wear properly fitted helmets. Helmets are the single, most effective way to prevent a brain or spinal cord injury in an accident. When riding in the roadway, cyclists must also obey all traffic regulations, including signaling/signing when changing lanes or turning and following all lane markings.
Here are some other tips for sharing the road:
- When cycling in the street, cyclists must drive in the same direction as traffic.
- Motorists be courteous – allow three feet clearance before passing a cyclist on the road, and yield to cyclists at intersections.
- Motorists should be particular watchful for cyclists when making turns, either left or right.
- Cyclists should make sure they are visible by using lights and/or bright colored clothing.
Pedestrians must also share the road with motorists and cyclists. Though pedestrians should always use the sidewalk where one is available, if one is not, then you should walk facing traffic. Pedestrians should also:
- Be predictable.
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals.
- Be alert at all times – try not to be distracted by electronic devices and cell phones.
- Cross streets at crosswalks and intersections. This is where motorists expect pedestrians. If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, try to find a well-lit area to cross.
- Never assume a driver sees you.
- Be particularly watchful for cars entering or exiting driveways or backing-up in parking lots.
You should always hire a personal injury attorney to handle your personal injury case, particularly when you have been injured. Your attorney can help maximize the amount of compensation you recover and better defend you if you are responsible for the accident. The attorneys at the Law Office of Jeremy Rosenthal have decades of experience representing clients in car accidentcases. If you or a loved one has been injured in any type of accident, call the Law Office of Jeremy Rosenthal today for a free consultation at (303) 825-2223.