Where Can I File A Personal Injury Lawsuit?

Posted by Jeremy Rosenthal | Mar 22, 2016 | 0 Comments


If you've been injured as the result of someone else's negligence or wrongdoing, you are going to want compensation for your medical bills, time off from work to recover for your injuries, property damage and maybe even lost work opportunities. Whether it is a slip-and-fall in the grocery store or a car accident on the highway, you will likely be considering a personal injury lawsuit or an insurance settlement. So, the first thing you should do following your accident is seek medical treatment for your injuries, and make sure to get documentation of your treatment. The next thing you should do is speak with a qualified personal injury attorney—like those at the Law Office of Jeremy Rosenthal—who will review your case and help you determine your best course of action.

If you and your attorney decide that filing a personal injury lawsuit is in your best interests, you will need to start the case by filing a complaint in the court with jurisdiction. While your attorney will know where to file your case, here is a primer on where to file your Colorado personal injury lawsuit.

Where To File My Personal Injury Lawsuit

In Colorado, your personal injury lawsuit will almost always be filed in one of two state courts: the county court or the district court.

County Court

If your damages (medical bills, property damage, lost wage claims, pain and suffering) do not exceed $15,000, then you will file your claim in the county court of the county where you live, or where your accident occurred.

If you decide to appeal after a verdict has been returned, then you will appeal your county court case to the district court that handles cases from the county where your case was heard.

District Court

If, in your personal injury compliant you claim damages in excess of $15,000, then you must file your case in the district court that hears cases from the county in which you live or where your accident took place.

Here is a map of the Colorado District Courts and the Counties they encumber.

If you decide to appeal your case heard in the district court, then you must file your appeal in the Colorado Court of Appeals, located in Denver.

Statute Of Limitations

In addition to knowing where the proper court is to file your personal injury lawsuit, you should also be aware that there is a specific time limit within which to file your claim(s) before you can no longer do so – known as the statute of limitations. For many personal injury lawsuits (slip-and-falls, wrongful death, medical or veterinary malpractice, products liability), the statute of limitations is two (2) years from the date of the accident or from when your injury was discovered. However, if your claim(s) arises from a car accident, then the statute of limitations is three (3) years.

Hire An Attorney

If you have been injured in any sort of personal injury accident, you should always hire a personal injury attorney that knows the law in your jurisdiction to handle your case. The experienced personal injury attorneys at the Law Office of Jeremy Rosenthal offer free consultations to all injured people and their families. Our attorneys will evaluate your case, and let you know what your legal options are – whether that means a negotiated settlement or a personal injury lawsuit.

Contact the experienced attorneys at the Law Office of Jeremy Rosenthal today at (303) 647-4511 or visit us online.

About the Author

Jeremy Rosenthal

Attorney Jeremy Rosenthal is dedicated to helping his clients seek just compensation for their injuries regardless of the lengths he has to go to or the distances he may have to travel in order to get it.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Serving Clients In:

Law Firm Of Jeremy Rosenthal provides professional legal services to clients throughout the Denver Metro Area, Boulder County and throughout Colorado, including the cities of Denver, Lakewood, Englewood, Aurora, Wheat Ridge, Arvada, Westminster, Thornton, Northglenn.