Colorado Springs is one of the most popular places to ride a bicycle in the state. The city is home to many sought-after bike trails and breathtaking scenery. However, with the increase in the popularity of bicycling, there has also been an increase in bicycle accidents. These scenarios have left many cyclists with severe injuries that have needed the help of a Colorado Springs bicycle accident lawyer to help advance their claim.
At the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal, we strongly feel that every cyclist has the right to enjoy the beauty of Colorado on their bicycle safely. Unfortunately, not all drivers are as considerate, and many cyclists have been hit by motor vehicles while on a ride. If you are a victim of a hit and run or were struck by a car while riding your bicycle, you need a Colorado Springs bicycle accident attorney from our office to protect you legally.
What Causes Bicycle Accidents in Colorado Springs?
Many factors contribute to bicycle accidents in Colorado Springs. These include:
- Inattentive or distracted driving. When motorists are not paying attention to the road, they are more likely to collide with cyclists. Distractions such as using a phone, eating, or changing the radio station can take a driver’s focus off the road and increase the odds that they miss seeing a cyclist.
- Speeding. Speed is often a factor in bicycle accidents. When someone is driving fast, they have less time to react to hazards on the road, including cyclists. In addition, the impact of a collision is much more significant when a driver is speeding, which can lead to severe injuries for the cyclist.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is never a good idea. Not only is it unlawful, but it can also lead to deadly accidents. Cyclists are particularly vulnerable when sharing the road with drunk drivers.
- Ignoring traffic laws. All drivers on the road are expected to obey traffic laws. When a driver ignores a stop sign or red light, they put everyone around them at risk for an accident. Cyclists are one of the top stakeholders vulnerable to being hit by a car when drivers run red lights or stop signs.
What Injuries Are Common in Bicycle Accidents?
There is no doubt that being hit by a car while riding a bicycle can lead to serious injuries. Common injuries a cyclist can suffer from accidents include:
- Head injuries. These are some of the most serious types of injuries that a person can suffer. Even wearing a helmet cannot always prevent a head injury from occurring. Head injuries can lead to long-term complications, including brain damage.
- Neck and back injuries. Neck and back injuries are also common in bicycle accidents, including anything from whiplash to paralysis.
- Broken bones. Broken and fragmented bones are another common type of injury that cyclists suffer in accidents. Because cyclists do not have the same type of protection as motorists, they are more likely to suffer broken bones when they are hit by a car.
- Soft tissue injuries. Soft tissue injuries, such as bruises and cuts, are also common in bicycle accidents. While these are less serious than some of the other injuries on this list, they can still be painful and require medical treatment.
What Should I Do If I’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident?
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, there are some important steps that you should take:
- Get medical help. Seeking medical assistance is the first thing that you should do. Even if you are under the impression your injuries are not that serious, it is important to have them evaluated by a medical professional. Sometimes injuries, such as head injuries, may not be immediately apparent, but a licensed medical professional can identify them and get you treatment early on.
- Call the police. Call the authorities right away after a bicycle accident. The police will create a report of the accident, which can be used as evidence in your case. This is a highly recommended strategy to protect your legal rights and document initial details.
- Gather evidence. It is also important to gather evidence after a bicycle accident. This includes taking numerous photographs of the scene of the accident, getting the contact information of any witnesses, and keeping track of your medical expenses. This evidence can be used to support your compensation claim. If brought to court, the jury and judge will heavily rely on evidence to decide the verdict and number of damages, if any, to award.
- Talk to an experienced bicycle accident lawyer. One of the best things that you can do after a bicycle accident is to talk to an experienced lawyer. A lawyer will be able to answer your questions, review your case, and help you understand your legal options. The best way to advance without any hesitation or confusion is by having a legal expert advocate for you.
What Can I Be Compensated for After a Bicycle Accident?
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, there are many avenues to seek compensation for damages. You can recover compensation for your:
- Medical expenses. After withstanding injuries from a bicycle accident, you will more than likely have to visit the doctor or hospital. These medical bills can add up quickly, and you may be able to have them reimbursed for either via settlement or verdict. Applicable medical expenses include ambulance transportation, hospital stays, x-rays, MRIs, surgeries, doctor visits, and more.
- Lost wages. If your bicycle accident injuries caused you to miss time from work, you may be able to recover them back. This can include both the wages that you have already lost and the wages that you will lose in the future.
- Pain and suffering. This type of compensation is meant to cover the physical pain and emotional anguish suffered. For example, if you have suffered a debilitating injury that has caused you to lose your independence, you may be able to recover compensation for your pain and suffering.
- Punitive damages. In some cases, the court may also award punitive damages. These damages punish the at-fault party for negligence and deter others from engaging in similar behavior. This does not apply to all cases, however, so it is important to discuss this option with your lawyer.
How Can a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Help Me?
An experienced bicycle accident lawyer can help you in many ways, including:
- Filing a Colorado Springs personal injury claim. Compensation may be available if you have been injured in a bicycle accident. A lawyer can help you file a personal injury claim to get the compensation you deserve. These claims contain information detailing the chain of events that led to the accident, witnesses, evidence, and medical bills.
- Gathering relevant evidence. To win your case, you will need evidence. A lawyer will know how to gather the evidence you need to prove your case and get compensation. This evidence can include medical records, police reports, witness statements, and more. There are illegal ways to acquire evidence, so it’s important to have an experienced bicycle accident lawyer on your case to ensure that any evidence collected will be legally acquired and useable in court.
- Negotiating with insurance companies. Insurance companies are notorious for offering low settlements to accident victims. A lawyer is well-versed in negotiating with insurance companies by having a strong understanding of common insurance company tactics, as well as the law. This will help put you in a much better position to get the full amount of compensation that you deserve.
- Handling all stakeholder communications. After an accident, there will be many people who want to talk to you. This can include insurance adjusters, lawyers for the other party, and more. Having a lawyer handle these communications is important so that you do not accidentally say something that could hurt your case. A lawyer will also be able to protect your rights and make sure that you are not taken advantage of.
- Filing a lawsuit. If you are unable to settle with the insurance company, you may need to file a lawsuit. A lawyer can handle everything, from filing the initial complaint to taking your case to trial. The average person is not legally educated or equipped to handle the complexities of a lawsuit on their own, but a lawyer is and will dramatically increase your chances of success.
- Finishing the case in court. If your case goes to trial, a lawyer will be able to present your case favorably. This includes putting on witnesses, entering evidence, and making persuasive arguments to the jury. The goal is to achieve the best outcome for you, whether that is a verdict in your favor or a favorable settlement.
Bicycle Accident Injury FAQs
Q: What happens if you have an accident with a cyclist?
A: You should first stop your vehicle and exchange information with the cyclist if they don’t need immediate medical care. You should also call the police so that they can file a report. You should then contact your insurance company to report the accident. You should also contact a lawyer to discuss your legal options.
Q: Can you sue a cyclist?
A: Yes, you can sue a cyclist if they were at fault for the accident. You can also sue the bicycle owner if they were at fault. For example, if the bicycle was not properly maintained and caused the accident, you could sue the owner of the bicycle. Or, if the cyclist was riding recklessly and caused the accident, you could sue the cyclist.
Q: How soon should I hire a lawyer after a Colorado Springs bike accident?
A: You should hire a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident. This is because there is a lot of work that needs to be done to build a strong case. For example, evidence needs to be gathered and witnesses need to be interviewed. The sooner you hire a lawyer, the sooner they can advance your case and get you the compensation you deserve.
Q: I was in a bike accident – what should I do?
A: The first thing you should do is seek medical attention, even if you don’t think you’re seriously injured. Once a doctor has seen and evaluated your condition, you should contact a lawyer to discuss your legal options. You should also exchange detailed, relevant information with the other party and file a police report. These traditional steps are all designed to help protect you legally and ensure that any inconveniences experienced from this bicycle accident are properly compensated.
Q: I was hit by a car while cycling – do I need a lawyer?
A: Yes, you should contact a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident. The driver will likely be connecting with their own insurance company, as well as their lawyer. You need someone who is looking out for your best interests as well.
Q: Who may be liable for a bike accident?
A: The liable party will depend on the circumstances of the accident. For example, if the accident was caused by a defective bicycle, the manufacturer of the bicycle may be liable. If a reckless driver caused the accident, the driver may be liable. In any case, it is important to speak with a lawyer who will deeply explore exactly what occurred to ensure that the legal system awards what is owed to each party and that justice is served.
Contact the Bicycle Accident Attorneys at the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal Today
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you need an experienced Colorado Springs bicycle accident lawyer on your side. The Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal has successfully represented many injured cyclists who needed legal representation. Advancing your case quickly is our number one priority. We understand that you have medical bills to pay and lost wages from being unable to work. We will fight to get you the compensation you need to cover these expenses and more. Contact us today.