Big commercial trucks are an essential part of the transportation and distribution networks of Colorado and the United States as a whole. Most drivers in the Golden area are used to seeing large tractor-trailers and other commercial trucks regularly, and most pass by these commercial vehicles without issue. However, truck accidents can and do happen, and when these incidents occur they typically result in far worse damages than most other vehicle accidents.
Compassionate Legal Representation for Golden Truck Accident Victims
If you are recovering from injuries suffered in a truck crash that someone else caused, it’s vital to know your options for legal recourse and to recover your damages. The Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal has years of professional experience handling a wide range of personal injury cases in Golden, including those arising from commercial truck accidents. We can put this experience to work for you and help you recover your damages when another driver is to blame for your recent truck accident.
How to Establish Liability for a Truck Crash in Golden
The first step in recovering your damages from a truck crash is proving exactly how your accident happened and identifying the party responsible. Unfortunately, it’s also possible for more than one party to bear fault for your accident, and this is just one example of the many complicating factors that might come into play during your recovery efforts.
Your legal representative will be invaluable for helping you assert liability for your recent truck accident. It’s possible for a truck crash to occur through negligence or intentional misconduct, and a few of the most commonly reported causes of truck accidents in the Golden, CO, area include:
- Distraction behind the wheel. Throughout the United States, inattentive and distracted driving is the leading cause of all motor vehicle accidents. Whenever a driver isn’t paying full attention to the road, they put themselves and others at grave risk of serious injury. Your Golden truck accident attorney can help gather the evidence you need to firmly establish liability for your accident.
- Speeding. It is very dangerous for any driver to exceed the speed limit, but this is especially true for drivers of large commercial vehicles that require more time and distance to slow down and stop to avoid a collision. Accidents that happen at higher speeds are more likely to cause catastrophic injuries and fatalities.
- Intentional reckless driving. It is very dangerous for any driver to engage in risky maneuvers behind the wheel or intentionally disrupt the flow of traffic. If your truck accident happened in this manner, the at-fault driver is likely to face criminal charges for their actions.
- Improper maintenance. Big commercial trucks spend more time on the road than most other vehicles. This means they have much greater maintenance demands, and if an accident occurs due to improper maintenance, the party responsible for the truck’s upkeep faces liability for the resulting damages.
- Poorly secured cargo. Large trucks are vulnerable to tipping or rolling over if their cargo isn’t balanced and secured correctly. A packed trailer must be balanced, and special types of cargo may require specific security measures to keep everything stable in transit.
- Driving under the influence (DUI). If your truck accident happened because another driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs, they would face criminal prosecution along with liability for your civil damages.
No matter how your accident happened, you must prove the other driver directly caused your claimed damages to succeed with your recovery efforts. This is likely to begin with an auto insurance claim, but you may need to take further legal action with a personal injury case when insurance alone cannot compensate your damages.
Filing Your Auto Insurance Claim
Every driver must have auto insurance, and this includes commercial truck drivers and the companies that employ them. In fact, most commercial trucking companies have more expansive auto insurance than the average driver. However, this is not a guarantee that the at-fault driver’s insurance will be enough to fully cover your damages. Additionally, the insurance company has no incentive to pay out a maximum settlement, and there are many obstacles you could face in seeking compensation through an insurance claim.
Your Golden truck accident attorney can help file your insurance claim in a timely manner with all necessary supporting documentation. Having legal counsel assist you with the insurance claim process will significantly reduce the chances of encountering any unfair treatment from the insurance company. In addition, once you receive your settlement, if you have further damages that insurance can’t cover, your attorney can help proceed with your personal injury case.
Compensation in Your Personal Injury Case
Colorado law allows you to seek full repayment of all the economic losses the defendant caused you to suffer, which may include:
- Medical expenses. If you suffered physical injuries, the defendant is liable for any and all medical treatment you require to heal completely from your injuries. This includes immediate medical expenses like hospital bills as well as ongoing health care expenses for necessary rehabilitative care.
- Property damage. If the defendant’s insurance cannot fully repay your vehicle repair or replacement costs, you can include the remainder in your personal injury suit.
- Lost income. When you cannot work because of your accident, the defendant is responsible for the income you are unable to earn during this time. This includes lost future earnings if you cannot work at all due to the severity of your injuries.
Aside from these economic damages, you also have the right to claim pain and suffering compensation. State law caps this aspect of recovery in most personal injury cases to $500,000, but your Golden truck accident attorney will help you recover the maximum amount of pain and suffering compensation possible to reflect the severity of your experience.
Commercial Truck Accidents FAQs
Q: When Should I Hire a Golden Truck Accident Attorney?
A: If you recently suffered injuries and economic losses in a truck crash, address your medical needs and then reach out to legal counsel you can trust as soon as possible. The sooner you hire a Golden truck accident attorney to represent you, the more likely you are to maximize your recovery and secure as much compensation as possible. In addition, your attorney can help with an auto insurance claim and a subsequent personal injury case, and it’s best to start these recovery efforts as soon as possible after your accident.
Q: How Much Is My Truck Accident Claim Worth?
A: If you can successfully establish liability for the truck accident that injured you, the defendant is liable for the full scope of economic losses they inflicted, along with compensation for your pain and suffering. Colorado law caps pain and suffering damages in most personal injury cases, but the right attorney will not only help you secure the maximum amount of compensation for your non-economic damages possible but also ensure you secure full repayment of immediate and future economic losses as well.
Q: How Long Do I Have to File a Truck Crash Claim in Golden?
A: The state places a two-year statute of limitations on personal injury cases, including those arising from truck accidents. However, you have a much shorter time limit for your auto insurance claim, usually only a few days. You must at least notify the appropriate insurance carrier of your intent to file a claim, but you should wait to discuss a settlement until you have legal counsel advising you. Address any immediate medical concerns you have after your accident, and then reach out to reliable legal representation as soon as possible.
Q: Is It Worth Hiring a Golden Truck Accident Attorney?
A: It is always worth investing in legal counsel you can trust for a truck crash claim. The right attorney can provide ongoing support and reassurance through every phase of your recovery, helping you uncover every available channel of compensation that’s available to you after your accident. When you choose the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal as your legal counsel, we will do everything we can to maximize your recovery in the shortest time possible.
Q: How Much Does a Golden Truck Accident Attorney Cost to Hire?
A: The Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal aims to ensure our legal representation is accessible to those who need it most, so we offer contingency fee billing. You do not pay any upfront or ongoing legal fees for our counsel. Instead, we take a percentage of your final case award or settlement, but only if we win your case. If we are unable to obtain compensation for you for any reason, there is no cost for our representation at all.
Ultimately, every truck accident claim will raise unique legal challenges for the plaintiff, and every plaintiff will have an entirely different recovery experience. One constant for every truck accident claim in Golden, however, is the value of reliable legal representation. If you are struggling in the aftermath of a truck crash that someone else caused, our team can help you recover your damages in the most efficient manner possible. Contact us today and schedule your free consultation with a Golden truck accident attorney to learn more about the legal services we provide.