Injuries to a person’s ankles and feet can be disastrous. Many of these injuries can limit a person’s immediate mobility or may lead to long term negative health effects that affect their mobility later on in life. While these types of injuries are not often life threatening, they frequently require immediate medical attention.
Common Types of Injuries to Ankle and Foot
There are several types of injuries that can affect a person’s ankle or foot. Some of the more commonly seen types of injuries can include:
- Sprains: Sprained ankles are very common injuries that can arise from any number of circumstances. These injuries are typically mild, and only need a short recovery time, however, there are certain circumstances that can cause a severe sprain which can cause long term mobility damage.
- Broken Bones and Fractures: Together, the foot and ankle contain 26 bones. When a person injures their foot, these bones may end up fractured. These types of injuries can result in temporary to long term mobility issues, and often need medical attention to heal properly.
- Dislocation: When a person dislocates their ankle, not only is the injury painful, but it will require immediate medical attention to put the joint back in place. These can be caused by impacts or events that may twist or put a severe strain on the ankle.
- Torn Ligaments: Tearing a ligament is a serious injury that occurs when severe trauma is placed upon a person’s foot or ankle. These require immediate attention and can lead to long term mobility issues if they are not treated properly.
Common Situations That Can Lead to Ankle and Foot Injuries
Injuries to the foot or ankle can arise from numerous circumstances. Common examples of situations that may lead to foot or ankle injuries can include:
- Slip and Fall Incidents: Slipping and falling on a surface can put a sudden strain on a person’s ankle, which can lead to a sprain or other type of injury. In addition to the injuries to their foot and ankle, a person can suffer injuries to other areas of their body as well.
- Vehicle Accidents: Vehicle accidents are highly traumatic events that can be the source of numerous injuries to a person. A person slamming on their brakes may have their ankle injured in an impact, or an impact can cause a person to suffer an injury to their foot.
- Sudden Trauma From Outside Forces: Dropping something on one’s foot, tripping over something at high speeds, and other similar events can cause injuries to a person’s foot. This type of trauma can arise from several different types of circumstances.
Ankle and foot injuries can be much more serious than a person would initially assume. These types of injuries can have long term effects on a person’s mobility if not treated quickly and properly. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury to the ankle or foot, contact the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal today.