Denver RTD Accident Attorney
The varying transportation options throughout Denver, CO, have made it a much more accessible city in recent years. From light rail to buses, the Regional Transportation District (RTD) has made it easier for commuters to travel to work on time or explore the city without using a personal vehicle. Unfortunately, with more people using public transportation comes an increase in the number of accidents that occur. While these modes of transportation are generally safe, they still have risks. These accidents can cause serious injuries that may result in costly medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. If you are a recent victim of an RTD accident, it’s helpful to connect with a Denver personal injury attorney who can help you navigate your legal options.
Proudly Representing Denver, CO, Train, and Bus Accident Cases
At the law firm of Jeremy Rosenthal, our team is proud to represent those who have been injured in RTD accidents. We understand these cases’ unique challenges and are here to help you through every step of the process. We have successfully represented many clients who found themselves in similar situations and are ready to do the same for you. We take an intensely compassionate and individualized approach to each and every one of our clients to ensure they get the personalized attention they deserve. Connect with us today if you are ready to move forward with your case.
What Are the Most Common RTD Accidents in Denver, CO?
Many different RTD accidents have been reported throughout Denver over the years. However, some seem to happen more frequently than others. These include:
- RTD bus accidents: Typically, these involve a bus colliding with another vehicle or pedestrian. Unfortunately, accidents often result in serious injuries due to how large and heavy these buses can be. Bus accident lawyers will work to hold the responsible parties accountable and secure the compensation you need to recover.
- Light Rail Train accidents: These accidents are similar to Colorado bus accidents in that they often involve a light rail vehicle colliding with another vehicle or pedestrian, such as when a driver fails to yield to an oncoming train. However, they can also occur when a pedestrian is hit by a light rail vehicle or when a light rail vehicle derails.
- Injury accidents involving pedestrians: There is a ton of pedestrian activity throughout Denver, such as people walking to work or crossing the street while shopping. Because they are surrounded by traditional Denver traffic and the RTD, pedestrians face a unique set of risks that put them in a vulnerable position to be involved in an accident.
- Bicycle accidents: Denver is home to many bicyclists who use the city’s extensive bike path system. However, many bicyclists share the road with RTD vehicles. These accidents often occur when an RTD vehicle collides with a bicyclist, resulting in serious injuries.
These are a few of the most common RTD accidents that occur in Denver. If you have been in any type of RTD accident, it’s important to reach out to an experienced personal injury lawyer to advance any legal claims you may have.
What Are the Most Common Injuries Sustained in RTD Accidents?
RTD accidents often result in serious injuries, such as:
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Wrongful death
Any of these injuries can impact your life in a number of ways. You may be unable to work, resulting in lost wages. You may require critical medical treatment, which can lead to costly medical bills. You may also suffer great pain due to your injuries. All these personal and professional implications are why the justice system is set up to help those who did not ask to be put in this position.
What Are the Steps to Filing an RTD Accident Claim in Denver, CO?
If you have been in an RTD accident, it’s important to take the following steps to protect your rights:
- Report the accident to the proper authorities: This involves either calling the police, 911, or the RTD to report the accident. This will automatically create a record of the event that will serve as your first piece of evidence.
- Get medical attention: Sometimes, people claim to feel fine after an accident, only to realize later that they suffered a serious injury. That’s why you should get checked out by a medical professional immediately after an RTD accident, regardless of how you feel. This is important for your physical and mental health and for generating a record of your injuries that will be used to support your claim.
- Gather evidence: Without hard forms of evidence, a case would be very difficult to win. On the other hand, you don’t want the judge and jury to rely on “he said, she said.” That’s why taking pictures of the accident scene is important, getting any witnesses’ contact information, and jotting down your recollection of the chain of events while it’s still fresh in your mind. The more evidence gathered and preserved, the better informed your lawyer will be when the time comes to negotiate or advance the case to court.
- Speak to an experienced Denver personal injury attorney: After being involved in an RTD accident, seek out legal help as soon as you are able. An experienced personal injury lawyer will be able to fully assess your case, help you gather evidence, and navigate the claims process. They will also advise you of your legal options and help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
What Type of Compensation Can I Recover in a Denver RTD Accident Claim?
If you have been in an RTD accident, you may be entitled to a variety of different types of compensation. This is designed to reimburse you for the financial, physical, and emotional damages you have suffered due to the accident. You did not willingly put yourself in this position, and the law is designed to help those who have been wrongfully injured.
Some common types of compensation that may be available to you include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
The total amount and type of compensation you could receive will depend on your specific situation, such as the severity of your injuries and the impact they have had on your life. Other considerations, like whether or not you were partially at fault for the accident, can also affect the bottom line of compensation you ultimately recover. Therefore, the only way to truly assess how much you can expect to recoup is by advancing a claim with bus accident attorneys.
FAQs About Denver, CO RTD Accident Laws
How Old Is RTD?
The Regional Transportation District was created in 1969 by the Colorado General Assembly. It was formed with the purpose of offering public transportation to the citizens of the Denver metropolitan area to reduce traffic congestion and air pollution. It still serves that purpose today, providing bus, light rail, and commuter rail services to the greater Denver area.
How Many People Use Public Transportation in Denver?
This metropolitan district provides public transportation services in eight counties in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area and services 3+ million people who are within RTD’s service range. It has quickly become a popular mode of transportation that many residents and tourists rely on to easily get around Denver and explore its offerings.
How Quickly Can I Be Compensated for My RTD Accident?
The amount of time it takes to resolve an RTD accident claim will depend on the specific facts of your situation. In some instances, settlement is reached fairly quickly, while in others, it may take months or even years to reach a resolution. Facts that can impact the timeline of such a case would include the severity of your injuries if you were partially at fault for the accident and the insurance company’s willingness to negotiate a fair settlement.
How Can I Prove That the Other Person Was at Fault?
Proving that the other person was at fault can be difficult, but it is vital in order for you to recover the full amount of compensation you deserve. In some cases, there may be video footage of the accident that can be used as evidence. In other cases, witnesses may have seen what happened and can provide statements to support your claim. Your lawyer can help you gather the evidence you need to build a strong case.
Contact A Denver RTD Accident Lawyer Today
RTD accidents require swift and decisive action in order to protect you and your rights. At the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal, we understand what you are going through and will work countless hours to get you the compensation you deserve. We have successfully represented many clients in RTD accident claims, and we are ready to put our experience to work for you. Contact us today to begin the process of pursuing a claim and restoring your life from the devastating effects of an RTD accident.