Brighton Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents are one of the most commonly cited causes of accidental deaths and injuries throughout the country. Unfortunately, many people experience car accidents every day, some of which only cause minor vehicle damage while others result in devastating injuries. If you recently experienced a car accident due to the actions of another party, it’s essential to know your rights and your legal options for obtaining compensation for your damages. Colorado uses a fault-based system for resolving car accident cases, so the at-fault driver is liable for any damages they cause in an accident.
Legal Representation for Brighton, CO, Car Accident Victims
The Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal offers legal representation to car accident victims in the Brighton, CO, area. Our firm takes a client-centered approach to every case we accept, taking time to learn as many details as possible about a client’s case to provide the best possible legal counsel for every client. We understand that your recent car accident likely caused tremendous losses, and you may have no idea how to secure compensation for those losses. Our goal is to maximize your recovery through an auto insurance claim, personal injury lawsuit against the driver who caused your accident, or both.
Why Do I Need a Brighton Car Accident Lawyer?
The fault for your recent car accident may seem perfectly clear, and you might assume that you would have minimal difficulty obtaining compensation for your losses on your own. However, you may need to file an auto insurance claim against the at-fault driver before proceeding with further legal action in the form of a personal injury claim to ensure full recovery from your damages.
Ultimately, attempting to handle an insurance claim or personal injury claim without an attorney will be incredibly difficult, especially when you struggle with a painful recovery from your injuries and economic uncertainty due to your inability to work. Hiring an experienced lawyer to represent you significantly increases the likelihood of maximizing your recovery and securing appropriate compensation for your various losses.
Instead of attempting to field correspondence with insurers and navigating strict court procedures while recovering from your accident, you can rest and recover with peace of mind. At the same time, your attorney handles your case on your behalf. An experienced Brighton car accident lawyer will help you determine the best path toward recovery and guide you through every stage of your recovery process.
Proving Fault for a Car Accident in Brighton, CO
Car accidents happen for many reasons. However, when one driver’s actions directly cause an accident with another driver, the injured driver has the right to hold them accountable with an insurance claim or personal injury claim. Some of the most common causes of car accidents that lead to civil claims include:
- Distracted driving, which is the most commonly reported cause of car accidents in the US.
- Driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs will lead to criminal prosecution of the at-fault driver and civil claims from injured victims.
- Moving violations include intentionally running red lights, improper lane changes, and illegal turns.
- Speeding, which dramatically increases the likelihood of severe or fatal injuries.
Any car accident can have devastating consequences, including severe injuries, substantial property damage, and long-term pain and suffering. After your accident, medical treatment should be your priority. Even if you think you only sustained minor injuries, prompt medical care can rule out injuries that haven’t manifested noticeable symptoms and establish a record of the appropriate sought care after your accident. Once you have handled your immediate medical concerns, you should speak with an attorney as soon as possible.
Your attorney can help you determine who is responsible for your recent accident. While this may be obvious for some accidents, others may be more difficult to discern. Your Brighton car accident lawyer can help you gather evidence and eyewitness testimony to help you identify the driver responsible for causing your accident. Eyewitness statements, traffic camera footage, and various other forms of evidence may come into play in a car accident case.
Insurance Claims Following A Vehicle Crash
Colorado is a fault state for car accidents, so every driver must have auto insurance that meets the state’s minimum coverage requirements. State law requires:
- At least a minimum of $25,000 in bodily injury liability coverage for a single person.
- A minimum of $50,000 in bodily injury liability coverage for all people injured in a single accident.
- Property damage liability coverage of $15,000 or more.
These three types of coverage apply when the policyholder causes an accident. So, for example, if another driver caused your recent car accident, your first step toward recovering your damages would be filing an auto insurance claim against their policy.
Insurance companies investigate claims for coverage to ensure they are legitimate, and most insurers typically do everything they can to avoid paying out on claims. However, even if your claim seems straightforward, there is no guarantee the insurance company will be agreeable during your interactions or that they will offer a reasonable settlement to your claim. Having a Brighton car accident lawyer draft a demand letter on your behalf significantly reduces the chances of unfair pushback from the insurer.
Even if you manage to secure the maximum possible payout from the at-fault driver’s insurance policy, this may not be enough to fully cover your losses. In this situation, you would need to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver to secure compensation for your remaining damages that insurance won’t cover, including your pain and suffering.
What to Expect in a Personal Injury Claim
Your Brighton car accident lawyer will help you build your personal injury case against the driver who caused your accident. To succeed with your case, you must identify the defendant or defendants responsible for causing your accident and prove the full scope of your claimable damages. While insurance may cover some of your losses, a personal injury claim can allow for a more robust recovery of various types of damages, including:
- Immediate medical expenses. Car accidents can cause traumatic injuries that demand immediate medical attention. Therefore, you can hold the defendant accountable for emergency room treatment costs, your hospital stay, the cost of ambulance transportation, and all other immediate medical expenses following your accident.
- Long-term medical care costs. Some accidents result in serious injuries that require ongoing treatment, and some may cause permanent disabilities. Therefore, the defendant is liable for any long-term medical costs the plaintiff incurs because of their actions.
- Lost income. A car accident can leave you injured and unable to work for an extended period, and the defendant is responsible for lost wages during your recovery.
- Lost earning potential. You might be unable to return to work at all if your car accident resulted in a permanent disability. Your Brighton car accident lawyer can help you hold the defendant accountable for the lost future income you could have earned had your accident not happened.
- Pain and suffering. Colorado caps pain and suffering compensation at $250,000 for most civil cases, increasing to $500,000 when the defendant faces clear and convincing evidence of their responsibility for the plaintiff’s injury. Your attorney will help you determine an appropriate amount to claim based on the severity of your injuries.
Many car accident victims are surprised to discover their claims are worth much more than they initially expected. However, the right attorney can make a tremendous difference in the quality of your recovery from a car accident, so it’s vital to seek legal counsel as soon as possible after another driver has injured you.
Car Accident FAQs
Q: How Much Does a Brighton Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
A: Most personal injury attorneys offer their services on a contingency basis, meaning the client only pays legal fees once their attorney wins their case. The fee is paid out of the client’s final case award as a percentage. Be sure to clarify an attorney’s billing policy before accepting their representation.
Q: What Type of Attorney Deals With Automobile Crashes?
A: Car accident claims fall under the purview of personal injury law. If you need legal counsel after a car accident, choose an attorney who has a solid record of successful cases similar to yours. It’s also important to ensure your attorney has substantial experience handling complex insurance claims.
Q: How Do I Choose the Best Car Accident Lawyer?
A: Take time to evaluate local attorneys with positive reviews from past clients. You can also ask friends and family for personal recommendations. A consultation typically offers the best chance to determine whether an attorney is the right choice for handling your case, so take advantage of free or low-cost consultations until you find the right attorney.
Q: What Does a Car Accident Attorney Do?
A: You will be able to rely on your attorney for several critical legal services. They can help you with an auto insurance claim, file a civil claim against an at-fault driver on your behalf, and guide you through settlement negotiations with the defendant in your case. If your claim proceeds to litigation, they will advise you throughout your court proceedings.
If you or a loved one is recovering from a car accident resulting from another driver’s negligence, we can help you hold them accountable with a civil action. If you are ready to discuss your situation with an experienced and reliable Brighton car accident lawyer, contact the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal today and schedule your free consultation.