How to File a Police Report After a Car Accident in Denver, CO? (2024)

How to File a

Car accidents happen every day, sometimes with devastating effects on those involved. It is important for every driver to know their rights and their responsibilities after a car accident happens, particularly when it comes to reporting the accident. You should know how to file a police report after a car accident in Denver and what you can do to recover damages that another driver caused.

Reporting Your Accident in Denver

Colorado law requires drivers to exchange their driver’s license information, auto insurance details, and vehicle registration details when an accident happens. Drivers must remain at the scene of the crash and report the accident to the police. This rule applies to almost all accidents, with the exception of minor fender benders that only result in minimal cosmetic damage to a vehicle.

When you report your accident, you must stay at the scene of the crash until first responders arrive. This is a good opportunity to take photos of the scene of the crash, your injuries, and the damage to your vehicle if you are able to do so safely. These photos could prove invaluable to your recovery efforts and help prove liability for the accident. Once the police investigate the scene, they will ask a few questions before they allow you to leave.

When speaking with the police, answer their questions honestly and concisely, but be very careful with your choice of words. Do not make any statements they might misconstrue as an admission of fault; otherwise, you could face liability for the accident. Once they allow you to leave, you should seek medical care immediately and then speak with a Denver car accident lawyer who can help determine your most viable recovery options.

Benefits of Filing a Police Report After a Car Accident in Denver

Filing a police report after a car accident satisfies your legal obligation to do so and will prevent you from facing penalties for failure to report or hit-and-run. However, there are additional benefits you should understand when it comes to filing your report. The police report is an official record of the accident and will include the responding officer’s findings at the scene of the crash. This report could be valuable for proving liability for the accident.

If you believe the other driver caused the accident, your police report is one of the most important pieces of evidence you can have for securing fair compensation for your damages. An experienced attorney can help you produce evidence showing the full extent of your medical expenses, vehicle repair bills, lost income, and the pain and suffering you experienced because of the accident.

The Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal has years of professional experience handling a wide range of complex car accident cases for our clients in Denver, and we can apply this experience to your case. Knowing how to file a police report after a car accident in Denver is crucial, but it is just as important to know what you can do to recover your losses and the value of having experienced legal counsel on your side throughout your case proceedings.


Q: Are Drivers Required to Report Minor Accidents to the Police in Denver?

A: Under state law, drivers are required to report minor accidents to the police in Denver if there are any injuries, deaths, or damage greater than $1,000. If you are unsure whether you need to report an accident, it is always safest to err on the side of caution and file a report.

Q: How Long Do I Have to Report a Car Accident in Denver?

A: Technically, a driver has 60 days in which to report a car accident in Denver. However, it is always advisable to report an accident as quickly as possible. If you intend to seek compensation for your damages from the other driver, a police report from the accident will be a crucial piece of evidence for your case. Securing this as quickly as possible enables you to take swift action to recover your damages.

Q: What Happens if a Plaintiff Shares Fault for Causing Their Accident?

A: If a plaintiff shares fault for causing their accident, the state’s modified comparative fault rule applies. If a plaintiff is found partially liable, they lose a percentage of their case award to reflect their shared liability. However, if they are found 50% or more at fault, they cannot claim compensation from any other liable party and will be personally responsible for their own damages.

Q: What Is the Law 42-4-1606?

A: Colorado law 42-4-1606 pertains to failure to report an accident. If a driver is found guilty of failing to report an accident to the police, they can face several serious penalties including fines, driver’s license suspension, and possibly even jail time. If a driver causes a serious accident and flees the scene, they can face prosecution for hit and run, and the penalties will depend on the severity of the harm they inflicted in the accident.

Q: What Does It Cost to Hire a Car Accident Attorney in Denver?

A: The cost to hire a car accident attorney in Denver can vary. If you choose the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal to represent you in a car accident claim, there is no risk that you will pay more for legal counsel than you win in compensation for your damages. We take these cases on contingency, so our client only pays a percentage of their final award as our fee if we win their case. If we are unable to obtain compensation for the client, they pay nothing at all.

The Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal has helped many past clients recover from all types of vehicle accidents. We know the aftermath of any car accident can be traumatic and confusing, and reporting an accident is an essential step in recovering. If you need legal counsel on your side to help you recover from your recent accident in Denver, contact our team today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about the legal services we provide.

Office Location

  • Denver
  • Arvada
  • Aurora
  • Boulder
  • Brighton
  • Colorado Springs
  • Lakewood
  • Westminster
  • Wheat Ridge

Put my knowledge and expertise to work for you. Contact my office today to discuss your case in a free consultation.